The above view is looking southward on Barr's Ferry Road. The road leads the visitor from the high ridge to the low river bottom lands where the old ferry was once located. This land was patented by William Standifer during 1839 and during the 1840's the land was sold to David F. Barr from South Carolina (born 1810). This area is located east of the Carolina community. David F. Barr's family is found in the 1850 Itawamba County Federal census with his wife Catherine and sons Andrew J. and Ebenezer F. He operated the ferry crossing during the 1850's and 1860's on this old road that connected the Carolina community with the Smithville area of Monroe County.