Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fall Issue of Society Magazine Set to Go to Press

The Volume 28, Number 3 (Fall 2008) of Itawamba Settlers magazine is set to be delivered to the printers on Monday. Itawamba Settlers is the quarterly 56-page membership magazine of the Itawamba Historical Society.

This issue of the quarterly includes abstracts from 1911 issues of the newspaper, The Itawamba County News, 1865 Board of Police minutes and an index of the probate records of Itawamba County from 1836 to 1900. This issue also contains several feature articles including a wonderful profusely illustrated article about the Robinson family of the Tremont area.

Being editor of the magazine, I have thoroughly enjoyed transcribing the old Board of Police minutes. In Mississippi, the Board of Police were the managers of the county and akin to county commissioners in other states and is the predecessor of the county Board of Supervisors in Mississippi today.

1865 were changing times in Itawamba County and those minutes reflect the times. Such items as military relief disbursements, destitute soldiers and widows payments and the like are mentioned throughout the old volume.

Another record group I have enjoyed abstracting are the old newspaper social columns. During 1911 the social columns created a snapshot of daily life in Itawamba County nearly 100 years ago. The chatty columns told of births, deaths, and sickness. They also tell of local citizens visiting others, describing socials and parties and documenting such events as elections, school events, church socials and the like.

The Fall 2008 issue of Itawamba Settlers should be mailed to the society’s membership within two weeks.
 

4 comments:

Linda in Lancaster said...

I enjoy reading your blog… and have “tagged” you with the “I Heart Your Blog” award. You can find the details on my blog "Axer to Ziegler"

You know I love your photography! Thanks for a job well done!

Bob Franks said...

Thank you for the honor Linda. It is sincerely appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. Martha

Bryan Wilson said...

Mr. Franks,

My name is Bryan Wilson and I grew up in Fulton and moved back home a couple of years ago. My sister, Jan Holley, told me about this website. How do I join the Ita. Hist. Society? I would also love to receive the magazine discussed here.

Thanks in advance,