Sunday, April 6, 2008

John Wesley Buse Family Portrait

John Wesley Buse was born February 3, 1858 in Itawamba County. He was the son of William M. and Stacy Harriett Johnson Buse. William M. Buse was the son of Benjamin Buse and Elizabeth Barnett, early settlers of northwestern Itawamba County, coming from Cherokee County, Alabama. The Buse family came to Itawamba County during the 1840’s settling along the old Natchez Trace near Twenty Mile Creek. Stacy Harriett Johnson was the daughter of Arthur Johnson and Nancy Woodward of Johnston County, North Carolina and later Itawamba County.

On January 16, 1879 John Wesley Buse married Julia Meeks and after her death on May 17, 1901, married Clemmie Turner on November 6 of the same year. John Wesley Buse died on December 23, 1928 and was buried in the Oak Grove Cemetery north of Mantachie. Pictured with John Wesley and Clemmie Turner Buse are children Willie, Jack, Lela, Bob, Allen and Ben. The portrait was photographed at the Buse homeplace in the Ratliff Community during the Fall of 1908.
 

3 comments:

martha whitten said...

My great great great Grandfather was from Itawamba County. I would like to know more about the Buse name,that was my maden name.

rosebuse said...

I believe I am a descendant of Benjamin Buse. My grandfather was John Dave (maybe David) Buse who married Odessa (Dessie) Webb. My father was John Thomas Buse. Would ike any info if someone has any!!

rosebuse said...

I believe I am descendant of Benjamin Buse. My grandfaers name was John Dave (maybe David) Buse who married Odessa Webb. Would like more info if anyone has it!